We're home and the surgery went really well. If your child ever has to have his/her tonsils/adenoids out and you live in the Indy area, we would highly recommend Dr. Myamoto and Peyton Manning's Children's Hospital. We arrived at 6:30 am and they put us in a private waiting room with a TV and a recliner. Brady got to relax for a little bit and catch up on his Disney Cartoons prior to his surgery. The Child Life Specialist brought in some cards and one of the gas masks so that he could "choose his flavor." He of course chose bubble gum because he is not allowed to chew it "until he gets big." We played cars for a little while longer and then they brought one of those electronic cards that kids can drive. Brady LOVES those things so he was pumped to see one. He got into the car and the child life specialist started blowing bubbles and he had to try to pop the bubbles with his car. He drove all of the way to the operating room (not even noticing that we weren't with him). Then they put him on the table, gave him the bubble gum mask and told him to try to pop the balloon. From the time he got into the car to the time the Child Life specialist came to tell us he was sleeping peacefully I don't even think 5 minutes had passed. They have definitely perfected that procedure! He didn't even cry or anything. It was so comforting! When he started to come out of the anesthesia, they came and got us to go back to the recovery area and they picked him up, had me lay down on the bed and then laid him on top of me so I could snuggle him. Brady and I rolled up to his room and daddy was close behind us with all of our stuff. I think they had to go replenish their popsicle stash once Brady checked out. I swear he ate at least 10 popsicles in the 24 hours we were there. I was telling Brad that he's going to have popsicle withdrawal after this is all said and done. We are now home and he is still doing incredibly well. My sister Kristen came to visit him in the hospital and she took a couple of pictures for me with Brady in his Hospital clothes as he called them. I will post them once I get them from her. Thanks Kristen for coming to visit and for bringing me dinner!!!! Thank you for all of the prayers. So far, we really couldn't have asked for things to have gone smoother than they have. And to quote Brady "I never have to come back here again." We hope that this was the last hospital visit for the Sabelhaus family for a long, long time!!!!
On another note, we did get some sad news Saturday night. Our neighbor's had a little boy Friday night and he isn't doing so well. He is having breathing problems and he has sepsis. I don't know if you guys remember, but our prayer for Cole was that we never had to go dowtown to Riley for ECMO. Unfortunately, their son was put on ECMO within 30 hours of being born. The neat thing is that they were at the Peyton Manning Children's hospital too. We have been able to visit with them, listen and love on them for the few days we were both in the hospital. It is crazy, before Cole I had never even heard of ECMO and not even 7 months after Cole came home we have neighbors who are facing the same scary things we did. I was talking to my friend Ashley and I told her it is amazing how God puts people in our lives just when we need them. For me, it was having Ashley to talk to about what Cole was going through because she had just had triplets at 28 weeks 7 months prior to Cole's birth. Now 7 months after Cole's birth we are the ones who are trying to comfort our neighbors who are in the hospital with their little boy who is fighting for his life. Brittany (our neighbor) said she just keeps picture Cole's little chubby, happy face and it gives her hope. We knew Cole would do great things in this world, but we never thought they would start when he was 7 months old. He is inspiring them that their little boy can make it and they too will be able to bring him home! Please keep them (Finley is the little boy) in your thoughts and prayers! These next fews week will be some of the toughest they will ever have to face!
Tuesday, October 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

So glad you're home and all went so well! I hope no more hospitals for the Sabelhaus' for a very long time too! Pray'n for your neghbors.
ReplyDeleteGlad things went well with Cole and happy you have the surgery behind you...your neighbors are in my thoughts & prayers.
ReplyDeleteSo glad to hear the surgery went well! Brady sure sounds like he had fun. It was wonderful seeing you all again last week when Kel was here. Take care!
ReplyDeleteSo glad everything went well. We're praying for a speedy recovery and for your neighbors!
ReplyDelete