Today they started backing down his oxygen, yeah!! Praise God! When I left around 3, they had just lowered it to 88%. Their plan is to back it down 2% per hour. They did try to do this last Thursday and Cole didn't like it and they had to end up going back up to 100%. Please pray that they are successful this time! I asked his doctor during rounds this morning at what point does he think it is safe to say that Cole won't have to have ECMO. He said once Cole is down to 50% oxygen and is completely weaned off of the nitric oxide. He said that they wean the nitric oxide fairly quickly (they cut it in half each time). So right now he is at level 20, then they will go to level 10, then 5, etc. That process actually goes fairly quickly. We are so looking forward to that day. It will be a huge relief!
It always amazes me how the Lord knows what you need to hear at a time like this. I have been studying Luke for the past 3 weeks. Yesterday I was ready to start Luke 7. It talks about all of the miracles that Jesus performed while here on earth. It was such a great reminder that even though his numbers weren't looking very good that God can do anything. I really liked reading in Luke 8, when the desciples are in the boat with Jesus and it starts to storm. Luke 8:24 "The disciples went and woke him saying, "Master, Master, we're going to drown. He got up and rebuked the wind and the raging waters; the storm subsided, and all was calm. Where is your faith? he asked his disciples." Last night when we called to get his blood gas numbers, his PO2 was 66, which we thought was really bad. However, when we got there this morning, Dr. Edwards explained to me that as Cole's lungs begin to heal, he wants numbers between 50-100 instead of the 300's. Just like that Jesus calmed the storm and made what we thought was a bad number a great number. So great that they started backing down his oxygen. Awesome! Please keep praying as Cole still has a long road ahead of him, but it appears that things are starting to turn around for our little man. I'll update again tomorrow.
God is so good!
Tuesday, March 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

oh, I have goosebumps!! I'm so glad its such good news! We will CONTINUE to pray!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteOh praise God is right!!! Tara I am sooo happy to hear the wonderful news. Little Cole is such a fighter and as I said before God has big plans for him:-) We love you guys and will keep the prayers coming! Hang in there...
ReplyDeleteI got goosebumps too! God's grace is wonderful!
ReplyDeleteWhat wonderful news! Cole will continue to be in our thoughts and prayers. Jesus heals!!!
ReplyDeleteThat is GREAT news! I'm so proud of your strong little man. :)
ReplyDeleteTara, I just found out last night about little Cole. I have put him on the prayer chain here at work. We are all praying for your family!
ReplyDeletePRAISE JESUS!!
ReplyDelete