Thursday, March 26, 2009
slow and steady wins the race!
Today has been a positive day. They weaned Cole's oxygen from 1.5 to 1; they reduced his pain medication from .75 to .5 and they reduced his sedation drug from 30 to 25. They plan to reduce both the pain medication and the sedation medication one more time later tonight. It is really exciting to see them decrease is medication, because it means he has more awake time with us! The hard part is that he has been kind of fussy and unconsolable, which can be a sign of withdrawal. It is hard to watch him be in pain when he has gone through so much already and he is only 2 1/2 weeks old. It also makes it harder to leave him because even though the nurses are wonderful, they have more than one baby that they are in charge of at a time. That means sometimes he may be crying and it make take a little while for someone to get to him. I also tried nursing today, but it didn't go so well. We're going to try again at 2:30, so hopefully it will go better then. The nurse said to be patient and he should eventually learn, it may just be more difficult because of him being on the ventilator for so long. Brad and I are trying to have one of us here during the day as much as possible (I'm here during the day until I pick up Brady and then Brad comes while I put Brady to bed). Unfortunately we got a call from Brady's day care and he is running a temperature of 102. Brad left work and picked him up today, but we're going to have to figure out what to do tomorrow. Just another example of how wonderful it will be once everyone is home together where we all belong!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Thanks for another update! It sounds like all is going well. Stay strong with the breastfeeding and with the inability to be there all the time. Your time will come soon.
ReplyDeleteNursing might be the most difficult thing I every tried. I encourage you to do whatever you can to get him your milk! We continue to remember you all in prayer.
ReplyDeleteK.C.
Praise the Lord that Cole keeps doing better and better! Good luck with the breastfeeding. (That is so weird to say!) :)
ReplyDelete