I just left the hospital and Cole still appears to be stable. His PO2 number is not as high as they would like it to be, but the rest of his numbers from his blood gas have been good. We met with the doctor during rounds this morning and he said he was checking on Cole's numbers every couple of hours while he was home. Praise God for the Riley NICU doctor's and nurses. Even though he wasn't on duty, he was still checking up on our Cole. That is so comforting to know they care that much! He said at this point we are looking at another 2-3 weeks in the NICU, but to remember that every day he is stable is a good day. He reminded us that we aren't out of the woods for needing ECMO yet, so we still need your prayers to continue. Cole has been a little more alert lately moving his arms and legs. They said this is because he is getting used to his pain medication. They said that as long as his movement didn't interfere with his progress then they weren't worried. They do have additional pain medication that they can give if his movements start to make his blood pressure raise or his stats drop. He was moving right before I left and the nurse was talking to me quietly in his room and his oxygenation number stayed between 95-100%. The nurse said this may be a sign that he is able to start handling more stimulation! That would definitely be a step in the right direction. Just 24 hours ago, if you even wispered in his room you would see his stats drop. At this point we will take all signs of improvement as a gift from God! Keep them coming! Brad is going to check his stats at 4 and stop by the hospital to check on him. We are going to try to stay at our house tonight for the first time. It is hard leaving Cole there overnight, but we have to take care of Brady too! Brady has been such a joy during this hard time. If we didn't have him, I don't what I would do. I love coming home to him yelling "mommy" and greating me with a huge bear hug. He is such a happy child and I can't wait for him to get to meet his brother. I will try to update again tomorrow.
God Bless!
Monday, March 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Brad and Tara,
ReplyDeleteWe were so glad to hear Cole's had another stable day. We will definitely still keep the prayers headed your way. Take care.
John and Marina Bouvy
Tara and Brad - Travis called last week to tell us the good news of Cole's bday! Since then we have also been updated w/the bad news...Kevin and I have been praying for you and baby Cole. What a beautiful and precious baby boy you have (well, two of them now!!) Our thoughts are with you and it's so nice to see all of your updates on this blog i was just able to open and view. Please know that we are thinking about and praying for your entire family (especially Mr. Cole).....He WILL come through this...
ReplyDeleteKim & Kevin
So glad to hear that Cole is stable and doing well! Brady is going to be such a great older brother it sounds like!! Keep your chin up and know that we are all praying for you guys and for those amazing doctors!!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHey Tara, (it's valerie and clearly I don't know how to do this...)
ReplyDeleteAnyways, sounds like it's been a roller coaster ride, but Cole is in good hands and we have to leave the rest up to God. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Take care of you and we'll look forward to the day he gets to go home! He's a beautiful little boy and he has an exciting future ahead of him with you as his parents!
Glad to hear all of the promising news. This boy is a fighter...God has big plans, I know it! We all love you and your family so much. Hope its another good day! If you have time our biblestudy was talking about perserverance through tough times in Romans 5. I hope you find it encouraging. Love ya
ReplyDeleteHi Tara and Brad! SO glad to hear that Cole had another "uneventful" day in NICU...I remember being so glad for those days where no news was good news kind of thing:-) You guys are doing wonderful...as I said before, this will be one of the hardest things you will ever have to get through but you will so it and before you know you will be home together. Take care and remember we are here is you need us! Love ya:-D
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear that things are stable right now. I can't imagine going through this between Cole at the NICU, having Brady at home, healing from a C-Section and so forth. I do know that you both are some of the most faithful, strongest peoople I know. We're praying for your family! Love you and miss you guys!
ReplyDelete